This summer has been challenging. Not only because of the heat, but because we all SHOULD still be spending a lot of time at home (in the sweet sweet AC, hello!) and even though things are opening up again, the options for what’s typical “summer fun” are (or should be) limited this year. So I came up with a list of laid back yet summery things that you can do from the comfort of your own home, back yard, balcony, or the local essential grocery store trip. We still gotta buckle down, folks – maybe now just with a tank top and a white claw on the porch this time. What ever you do get up to this summer, don’t be a dick – wear your mask!
Now onto the list:
- Eat something covered in Old Bay seasoning. It’s a Mid-Atlantic tradition that should be practiced everywhere!
- Become a plant parent. Adopt another if you already have an indoor garden growing. Graduate to herbs or flower bushes if outdoors is more your thing.
- Support the USPS and hand write a letter to someone you love!
- Find the juiciest watermelon at the store or grocery pickup – look for one with a yellow spot (said to be sweeter that way), and dig in! I love mine with a sprinkle of salt or tajin.
- Take some time to find Instagram accounts that are focused on sustainability, body positivity, making a difference in their community, or all 3 – give them a follow!
- Make a tomato sandwich (bonus points if you have home grown tomatoes!) White bread, mayo, salt & pep, and a heirloom tomato. Get on it!
- Pick up fresh flowers at your next stop at the grocery store. Hydrangeas are a personal summer fave for me!
- Roast something. A whole chicken, a sheet tray of veggies, or a couple heads of garlic. Once you get hooked on roasting, your life will never be the same!
- Call or FaceTime a friend you haven’t talked to in a while.
- Stalk Pinterest for your next travel destination but don’t book it quite yet, here’s lookin at you, 2021!
- Paint, cross stitch, collage, or sculpt something that inspires you.
- Watch the sunset from somewhere, even if it is your bedroom window. Bonus points if you catch the sunrise and sunset in the same day.
- Actually read the book you’ve been sitting on since March. If you’re an overachiever that has already read a book, get yourself another one!
- Paint your nails a bright summer shade – OPI cajun shrimp anyone?
- Create a vision board or a manifestation journal
- Get to frog TikTok. If you’re already there, get to Cottage Core TikTok. If you’re already THERE, make up a new genre and either get there or create it yourself.
- Send someone a small surprise gift. This will rattle those of us (like me) that hate surprises, but no matter what they will appreciate it.
- Seriously attempt that recipe that looks too hard or too complicated. You might end up incredibly impressed with yourself!
- Download the Headspace app. Complete the 10 basics meditations, they really do help.
- Make a boring purchase more fun by finding the item in a fun summer scent. Piña colada candle? Passion fruit body wash? Pineapple hand sanitizer? Banana shampoo? Honeysuckle laundry detergent? Mix it up!
- Bake something with peaches, can’t go wrong with pie or cobbler.
- Create a summer-themed cocktail.
What’s on your summer bucket list?