It’s almost the end of January, so I feel that this post may be a little late, but I’ve been spending a lot of time reflecting on the lessons I learned in the whirlwind year that was 2016. Some of them were lessons I never wanted to learn, and others I welcomed with open arms. 2016 was a huge year for me, a year of transitions, of uphill battles, and also a year of acceptance and goodbyes.
If you’d like more lessons, check out the things I learned in 2015!
Here are some of the things 2016 made abundantly clear to me:
1. If you find something you’re good at or passionate about, find a way to pursue it wholeheartedly.
2. “Five year plans” are a joke. The universe will laugh at you. Learn to laugh at you too.
3. Absolutely nothing is permanent. Even tattoos fade.
4. People change. Not always for the better. But sometimes that turns out for the best.
5. Trust your gut. It’s the voice of reason between your doubtful head and hopeful heart.
6. You can never force something to work out. If it’s meant to, it will.
7. If someone asks where the best thrift stores are, don’t tell them. Some information should be exclusive.
8. No one is ever too cool to have a good time. People that think they are are just a drag.
9. If you spread yourself too thin, you’ll inevitably crack under pressure.
10. When things happen, they often happen all at once.
11. Know when to ask for help, even when it’s hard.
12. Moisturizer is SO important. Use it.
13. Gold and silver glitter are definitely neutrals (they go with everything) and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is a hater.
14. Remember that nobody has it all figured out, some people are just better at pretending they do. Things are less intimidating when you look at it that way.
15. A good hug can solve a lot of things.
16. Embrace the weird. It’s more fun that way.