My 24th birthday is this week. That’s right, almost a quarter of a century baby! It’s actually kind of terrifying, but I’m excited to enter my mid-twenties (are my early twenties finally over? Can I brush that uncertainty off now?) and get the ball rolling with even more cool stuff. At 24 I’ll be travelling to Europe for the first time, and hopefully for the 2nd time too (Germany and Iceland here I come!) I really can’t wait for all the things this new year has in store for me, and I’m happy I may be able to impart some of my 23 years of wisdom in the post below.
2. Cherish the friends you can pickup where you left off with. They’re the ones that will stick it out for the long haul.
3. Friendships require energy, but not everything you’ve got. See item #2.
4. Literally no one is looking at you. Well, unless you’re making a lot of noise.
5. Your forgiveness is more of a gift to yourself than to anyone else.
6. Getting your eyebrows done totally counts as self care.
7. Baking from scratch means you can be more proud of yourself, because you should be.
8. Podcasts are such a great resource for learning, entertainment, and laughs. I listened to thousands of episodes this year.
9. Sometimes you have to learn what you don’t want to understand what you do want.
10. Morning and night routines are the backbone of your day.
11. Things are usually on the clearance rack for a reason. Leave them there.
12. By 23 you should own luggage, and not just the duffel bag that hurts your shoulder.
13. It makes way more sense to make cocktails at home.
14. If you find a working balance between cake and salad, you’ll probably be fine.
15. The skincare routine doesn’t have to have a million steps or the most expensive to be good.
16. Check in with yourself.
17. Get a massage once in a while.
18. Yelp is your friend, especially for finding a good place to get that massage.
19. Intuition is never wrong. Learn to recognize it and listen.
20. Learn to identify your coping mechanisms so you can understand even subtle changes in your behavior when you’re feeling anxious, overwhelmed, or stressed. Self awareness is key.
21. Grocery shopping on week nights is far less annoying than going on the weekend. The later the better.
22. Ask for the help you need.
23. Sometimes the right now needs more attention than the future. You can only be so prepared. Embrace the little changes.